Ironically, when completed in 1931, the Edison Bridge had no electric lights. City officials were further embarrassed in 1935, when a nationwide Ripley’s “Believe It or Not” cartoon lampooned the bridge. With the help of Florida Power & Light, over 50 lampposts were added in 1937, creating a fitting tribute to the inventor which it memorialized.
An original Edison Bridge lamppost is on display at the Edison & Ford Museum.
For many years, Fort Myers was somewhat isolated from its neighbors. In the 19th century, travel by boat was quite common. The train did not connect to the city until 1904, and it was not until 1924 that a wooden bridge first crossed the Caloosahatchee River into Fort Myers, allowing visitors from the north convenient access. Meanwhile, in 1916, work had begun to continue roadwork to the east, connecting Tampa with Miami. The project became known as the "Tamiami ..