Why Thank You Notes are Very Important
August 4, 2020
There is a lot of value in a handwritten thank you note. When someone does something nice for you or gives you a gift, traditionally a note of thanks should be sent to the giver to express gratitude.
You may be thinking, “this is 2020 and times have changed.” We have Facebook, Instagram, email, and texting available – literally at our fingertips 24/7. It’s so easy to just call, email or send a text with an emoji expressing thanks; however, the conveniences of technology are not a substitute for a handwritten note!
While a thank you note may seem like a small thing, it carries a big message of appreciation and gratitude more than a text ever could. There is something old-fashioned and especially heartfelt about writing a note by hand for both the writer and the recipient. Receiving a tangible piece of snail mail says to its recipient, “I am thinking about you, and I am thankful for you. Here is the handwritten proof.”
Top 7 reasons why everyone should write thank you notes:
1. It can make the difference in getting the scholarship, job, client or even future donations.
2. It differentiates you from all the others.
3. Gratitude is good for the brain. Some studies have shown it also reduces aches and pains and has other health benefits.
4. It will make someone’s day! Discovering a handwritten letter amongst a pile of bills and junk mail is heartwarming.
5. It is an opportunity to reflect on our gratitude and appreciate the time and energy someone spent to do something nice on our behalf.
6. It tells others that you are a thoughtful and appreciative person.
7. It lets the sender know that you actually received the gift.