September 24, 2012
Mr. Russell Mabry, the original owner and caretaker of this 1917 Ford Model TT Truck, visited the Edison Ford Estates on August 9th. He was joined by his grandson Scott Holmes (far right) and his two great-grandsons.
Mr. Mabry fondly recalled driving the truck to the Edison and Ford Winter Estates in August of 1990 after it was purchased by the City of Fort Myers.
The 1917 Ford Model TT Truck features a 20 horse power, four cylinder engine, with a magneto electrical generator that is used to produce high voltage and power for the vehicle’s ignition system. It also features a worm drive transmission that decreased speed of the vehicle but increased engine’s pulling power.
The front tires were originally made of reinforced natural rubber filled with air but the rear tires were made of solid natural rubber to allow for more load capacity. Because of the heavier load capacity the speed would have been limited to about 15 – 25 miles per hour.
This 1917 Ford Model TT Truck sold as a combination with a frame and hood (chassis/cowl) and the pine cab and oak bed was constructed and added afterwards. Early trucks sold for less than $500 (at that time the 1917 Model T Touring car was priced at $360 and the Ford Sedan at $645). This truck offered consumers a durable, dependable and reasonably priced vehicle that could perform both light and heavy duty commercial work due to its heavier frame and rear axle.
Note to visitors: Cars on display in the Ford gatage including the Model T Truck have been moved to off-site storage in preparation for Tropical Storm Isaac.