One of our favorite programs at Edison Ford is our season of tours to a select group of cities with some very unique museums, gardens and historical sties. For the 2016 - 2017 season we have a very exciting list of destinations! This is a great way to learn about Florida history, science and culture firsthand as we often provide insider and behind the scenes experiences through our staff and colleagues at the sites we visit.
Director's Tour intinerary for 2016-2017:
- November 12, 2016 - Fairchild Botanical Garden and Vizcaya Museum & Gardens - Coral Gables and Miami area
- December 10, 2016 - Henry Flagler Museum and Ann Norton Sculpture Gardens - Palm Beach (This will be an afternoon - evening tour.)
- January 2017 (Date TBA) - Everglades Museum, Historic Rod & Gun Club, Ted Smallwood Store and Private Airboat Ride with Captain Mitch - Everglades City
- February 2017 (Date TBA) - Miami, Montgomery Botanical Garden and Homestead Nurseries (orchids, fruit trees)
- March 2017 (Date TBA) - Marie Selby Botanical Gardens and Historic Spanish Point - Sarasota
- May 2017 (Date TBA) - John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art - Sarasota
Check back for dates and specific details for the different destinations. Cost for each trip: Edison Ford Members $105; non-members or the general public $125. To sign up or for more information, please contact Nancy Achter at 239-334-7419 or email at nachter@edisonfordwinterestates
Coming Up: November 12, 2016
Thomas Edison, Henry Ford and Harvey Firestone worked closely with David Fairchild, who created the first national seed bank in Miami. Much of their collaboration was focused on finding a source of organic rubber which could be grown in the U.S.A.
Today Fairchild’s research gardens are known as Fairchild Botanic Garden and encompass 80 acres of unusual tropical plantings. November 12 is also the Fall Garden Festival which features The “Ramble,” South Florida’s largest event for gardeners and festival-goers. We will experience all that fall has to offer in South Florida with seasonal cooking classes, home gardening demonstrations, autumn beer garden and seasonal vignettes, all mixed with Ramble traditions like: art, antiques, rare books, garden vendors and one of the largest plant sales in Florida.
To register e-mail Nancy Achter at NAchter@edisonfordwinterestates.org or call 239.334.7419.