Edison Ford Inventor's Summer Camp
Join the Edison Ford Wild Wizards for a summer of new and exciting programs! Watch as the Edison & Ford Winter Estates becomes a living lab for our campers, who are challenged to learn more about the sciences, art, and the natural world.
May 30 – June 2, 2017-- Sun Science: Dive into Solar Science at the Edison Ford. Learn how the sun helps to power the museum and how it can be put to other practical uses. Campers work with solar panels and other electrical tools as they learn about light and energy transfers. Join us for our solar cookout and take part in a variety of solar challenges during this four day camp. $180 Members, $200 Non-members
· June 5 – June 9, 2017-- Innovation and Invention Camp: “To be a good inventor you need a good imagination and a pile of junk,” said Thomas Edison. The Edison Ford provides the “junk” and campers provide the imagination in this dynamic engineering camp. Campers are presented with a series of challenges and problems as they uncover the nature of innovation and the engineering design process. What will you invent? $220 Members, $250 Non-members
· June 12 – 16 and June 19 – 23, 2017-- Fantastic Film Makers: “Lights, Camera, Action?” There is actually much more to it! Campers take a deep dive into the art and science of movie making. Campers learn all stages of production as they develop an original movie complete with special effects and animation. See how ideas can come alive on the big screen at the Edison Ford during this two week camp. $440 Members, $495 Non-members
· June 26 – June 30, 2017-- Fundamental Physics: Campers get moving as they explore the world of physics with exciting demonstrations and hands-on projects, learning how to use forces to defy gravity and delight friends and family with amazing science experiments. $220 Members, $250 Non-members
· July 3, 2017-- Lego Engineers: A day of engineering challenges with a fun twist: Legos. Build bridges, catapults and contraptions in this fun and challenging day camp. $40 Members, $50 Non-members
· July 5 – July 7, 2017-- Science Investigations: Help to solve a mystery and learn about the nature of scientific investigation. See how household items can be used in a forensic investigation as campers crack the case. Learn how first responders use science and engineering to keep us safe and how to check your toys for fingerprints during this three day camp. $135 Members, $150 Non-members
· July 10 - July 14, 2017-- Electrical Engineers: Campers learn all about circuits and design a light system! From simple to complex, the world of electronics is illuminated. Join us as we explore a variety of electric devices and phenomena at the winter home of Thomas Edison. Using creativity, switches, LED’s and Edison’s great invention-- the light bulb-- a scientific work of art will be created. $220 Members, $250 Non-members
· July 17 - July 21, 2017-- Roving Robots: Explore the world of robotics! Campers form robotic teams as they take on a new robotic challenge every day. All the skills necessary to a robotic engineer are addressed: mechanics, computer science and electronics. Campers create circuits, build Lego robots, write code, and learn how to develop a mechanical advantage as they master robotics. $220 Members, $250 Non-members
· July 24 - July 28, 2017-- Creative Chemistry: The Wild Wizards have collected all of their favorite experiments for this exciting camp. Learn how to take household items to conduct amazing experiments. Campers have fun as they conduct different chemical experiments each day-- everything from making fake snow to toothpaste big enough for an elephant. This camp is sure to get a reaction! $220 Members, $250 Non-members
· July 31 – August 4, 2017-- Video Game Developers: What do loops, if/else statements, and functions all have in common? They are all used to design video games. Join our Wild Wizards as we untangle the key concepts needed to create the next viral video game! Campers will receive a flash drive containing the arcade of games designed in the camp. $220 Members, $250 Non-members
August 7 – August 9, 2017-- Smarts in Arts: Explore creative expression and challenge the imagination in this engaging program designed to discover where art and science merge. Campers will harness their fine motor skills while working with an array of mediums, developing projects that push the boundaries of perception during this three day camp. $135 Members, $150 Non-members
- Two camps are held each week, grouped by grade level: grades 1-3 and grades 4-6. All camps are held from 9am to 4pm.
- LOCATION: The 2017 Inventor’s Summer Camp will be based in the Education Center and Edison Caretaker’s House, which is air-conditioned. Some activities will be held in the gardens and Edison Ford Museum.
- ATTIRE: Campers will be given a Camp T-Shirt and are required to wear it each day. Cool, comfortable clothing, tennis shoes, insect repellent, sunscreen, and hats are recommended. Open-toed shoes and jewelry should not be worn.
- MEDICATION: Instructors must be notified in writing regarding any medication campers are to take during the day. Please provide detailed information when registering your child for camp.
- LUNCHES: Campers must bring their own sack lunch, snacks, and drink daily. Water coolers are available; refrigeration is not.
Scholarships and Junior Counselor Positions
Limited competitive, need-based scholarships are available, as provided by donations. A recommendation from a teacher is required. Application deadline is April 14, 2017.
Students of grade 7 or higher may apply for a Junior Counselor position to earn volunteer hours. Deadline is April 14, 2017.
Coming Soon: Electronic registration will be offered for camp sign-up-- a link will be provided once it is available.
Please Note: Registration is open to Edison Ford Members ONLY until February 1, 2017.
Contact Leeanne Criswell at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 239-334-7419 with any questions regarding Inventor's Summer Camp.