Edison Ford Inventor's Summer Camp
Join the FUN! Inventor’s Summer Camp is back again this year with new and exciting programs! Edison Ford is a living lab, where each project or activity challenges campers in the sciences, art, history and nature to ask questions and discover the answers for themselves while having fun! Two camps are being held each week and are separated by grade levels (1st – 3rd/ 4th – 6th). Camps are located in the air-conditioned Edison Education Center located in the Edison Caretaker’s House from 9AM – 4PM.
$230 non members
Additional Material Fee:
- Due to the increase in higher priced materials including but not limited to motors, wires, mindstorms, and more Edison Ford is now requiring an additional materials fee for the participants of the following camps.
Week 6 & 7 $15
Week 8 & 9 $20
- Registration is required
- Camp registration is on a first-come, first-serve basis
- Please register early as camps fill quickly
- Payment plans can be made available by request
- All payment is due by March 13, 2015
- Registration forms and payment may be hand delivered to the Edison & Ford Winter Estates during regular hours, daily from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Registration forms may be mailed with a check or credit card information to:
& Ford Winter Estates
ATTN: Education Department, Inventor’s Summer Camp
PO Box 2368 Fort Myers, FL 33902
- Please choose camps carefully as no refunds will be provided after May 4, 2015.
- Refunds will not be made available for last minute vacation plans or camper behavioral issues. (See registration forms for guidelines and behavioral contract.)
Junior Counselor Positions
- A cost of $30 is charged to cover the training program and Junior Counselor T-shirts (each counselor receives 1 T-shirt)
- Junior Counselor positions are awarded on a competitive basis
- Each application must be accompanied by a two-page essay describing why you would like to be a junior counselor
- Enrollees will only receive ONE week of camp which equates to 40 hours of volunteer service
- Each week will be limited to TWO Junior Counselors per class
- Application deadline is February 27, 2015
- Junior Counselors will be notified of placement by March 31, 2015
Applications and Letter of Interest may be hand delivered to the Edison & Ford Winter Estates during regular hours, daily from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Application and Letter of Interest may be mailed to:
Edison & Ford Winter Estates
ATTN: Education Department, Inventor’s Summer Camp
PO Box 2368, Fort Myers, FL 33902
2015 Inventor's Summer Camps
WEEK 1: Kitchen Chemistry, June 8 – June 12
This mind-boggling camp is a combination of the best experiments the Wild Wizard has to offer. Campers will learn how to take everyday things found in the kitchen and make them do amazing things. Top it off with a cookout including home-made ice cream and root beer floats!
WEEK 2: Movie Making Magic, June 15 – June 19
Act, direct, operate the camera, and build sets. Campers will be fully immersed in the art of filmmaking. Participants will study Foley art (sound effects), movie magic (special effects), and script writing. Campers will understand the basic techniques the pros use to get their ideas on the big screen. Every camper will receive a DVD of their final film. DVD may have to be mailed after camp concludes.
WEEK 3 & 4: Video Game Design, June 22 – June 26 & June 29 - July 3
Video Game Design combines technology with art where students program computers to animate their story and characters. Students work in small group teams, learn about character development, and the basics of programming code.
WEEK 5: Space and Rockets, July 7 – July 10
The final Frontier! Campers will explore the outer reaches of the universe with our resident spaceman. Campers will get to visit planets, collect samples, float on our lunar lander, build rockets, and a lot more.
WEEK 6: Eager Engineers, July 13 – July 17
“To be a good inventor you need a good imagination and a pile of junk,” said Thomas Edison. The Edison Ford will supply the junk and jump start the imagination. Campers will use recycled materials and develop green inventions, conduct science experiments, participate in balloon car races, build bridges and more.
WEEK 7: Electricity, Circuits and Lighting Design, July 20 – July 24
Using engineering, art and science students will build and create an original light system. Students begin to understand how circuits and lights work by exploring the world of electrons. Using creativity, switches, LED’s and Edison’s great invention, the light bulb, a scientific work of art will be created.
WEEK 8 & 9: Robotics, July 27 – July 31 & August 3 – August 7
Explore the world of robotics by designing, building and programming robots of all different sizes and shapes. Students will work in teams as they learn new applications of robotic technologies. Robots stay at Edison Ford.
WEEK 10: Smarts In Arts and Science, August 10 – August 14
Have fun expressing yourself through multiple mediums like legos, post-its, and organic environmental materials. Let your creativity take over while exercising the right side of your brain to learn to see as artists. Friday graduation will be a celebration of creativity with the Edison Inventor’s Summer Camp Art Exhibition 2015.
WEEK 11: Animation, August 17-August 21
The perfect mix of science and art. Campers will learn improvisation, comedy techniques and basic acting to develop original characters, write their own story, choose animation styles, and make a short film. Discussions are based on positive character traits, conflict resolution, and the power of making good choices. All the films are edited and out on to a DVD for participants to take home and share with the whole family.
A limited number of summer camp scholarships are available. Scholarship applications are due no later than March 13, 2015. Scholarship recipients will be notified by April 3, 2015.
Contact Edison Ford at 239-334-7419 with any questions regarding Inventor's Summer Camp.