Antique Car and Piano to Move into New Edison Ford Shoppe at Bell Tower

10/26/2015

Antique Car and Piano to Move into New Edison Ford Shoppe at Bell Tower 

FORT MYERS, Fla. (October 26, 2015) -- At 9:30 a.m. on Friday, October 30, 2015, Edison & Ford Winter Estates will move a 1919 Model T Ford and 1880 Hallet Davis & Co. grand piano into the new store location at Bell Tower Shops. The Edison Ford Shoppe is moving into a new, larger location to allow room for select museum memorabilia and artifacts, including the antique car and mahogany piano that belonged to Charles Edison, Thomas Edison’s third son and former Governor of New Jersey.  

The 1919 Ford Model T is part of the historic vehicle collection at Edison Ford Winter Estates, and was previously on display in the Biggar garage adjacent to the Ford home. The car only has a 20 horsepower, four-cylinder engine, a 10-gallon gas tank and averaged about 15 to 21 miles per gallon depending on the terrain. The car's maximum speed was 45 miles per hour on a flat surface. The original cost for the 1919 Model T Touring car was $525.              

The piano is on permanent loan from the Charles Edison Fund, the charitable organization of the Edison family. Mina Miller Edison, Charles' mother, taught him how to play piano. 

Edison Ford Shoppe sells merchandise focused on Southwest Florida history and the arts, including artwork, glassware, stationery, clothing, books, gardening products and gifts for children. Locally made food, such as honey and tea are available and the store also has coffee and water products for sale.

 ###

  Edison & Ford Winter Estates

Edison Ford is open daily from 9:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. Edison Ford is the winner of the 2009 National Stewardship Award from the National Trust for Historic Preservation and is an official project of “Save America’s Treasures” at the National Trust for Historic Preservation, a Florida Historic Landmark and a National Register Historic Site. In 2014 the Edison Botanical Laboratory was named a National Historic Chemical Landmark.  For additional information call 239-334-7419 or visit our home page.